Fashion Upcycling


I've been sewing up a storm since I came back from Sydney and I've forgotten to type up some posts. If you follow me on Facebook, you would've seen the giant mountain of clothes I left on my bed before I went away. In Sydney I read a pamphlet about Upcycling. The idea is to convert waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or a higher environmental value. I'm determined to incorporate this idea into this blog more often. So my goal for the second half of my holidays was to finish refashioning the huge pile of clothing so it would stop taking up precious wardrobe space and would not eventually become landfill. Plus, it's a great way to save a few pennies after my overindulgent holiday. I came pretty close and finished about 3/4 of it.

The top I'm wearing here was made from the fabric of a skirt a friend of mine had given me. The skirt was too big for me, but I really liked the organic branch-like design on the silk fabric. I had originally thought of making into a body-con skirt, but since I own and have made wayyy too many skirts, I decided to challenge  myself and make a top instead. I don't know why I haven't attempted to make tops sooner? Maybe I was always intimidated by the closures, stretchy fabrics, armholes, collars etc... So I guess it was a good thing I started with a simple loose tank top. I drafted it from my bodice block and moved the shoulder dart to the bust area. By lowering the neckline though the front and back it eliminated the need for any closures. I also lowered the armhole a little for a looser fit.

Original skirt
Fabric pieces
 
Sewing it together was a breeze. Throughout the whole process I keep thinking about how I was going to finish the edges. I was thinking of making bias tape, but I was a little scared of trying too many new things on one project. Luckily, I recently discovered how to use the narrow hemming foot for my machine. It's been fantastic for finishing thin fabric edges. It's one of the most valuable techniques I've picked up lately. Although this top could be perfected more, especially in the finished edges... I reckon it's a pretty good first effort!





I'm wearing the top with the PVC skirt I made last month, black wedges and my silver and gold spike necklace. So now that you've seen me style the skirt with non-dominatrix like pieces, what do you guys think? Does the PVC skirt work or not?




0 comments:

Total Pageviews