Another lazy meal. Its been too hot for me to spent too much time stirring away in the kitchen, but I'm still determined to eat healthy. So to tick all the boxes, I made a huge pot of soup that will last a few meals and it didn't take much effort at all. Mmm... who doesn't love a bit of bacon?
This recipe serves 4
You will need -
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 rashers middle bacon, chopped
- 1/2 celery, trimmed, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, chopped
- 1/3 cup pearl barley
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 7 cups vegetable stock
- 1 medium zucchini, halved, sliced
- 1 medium desiree potato, peeled, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until onion has softened. Add bacon, celery and carrot. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until bacon is golden.
- Stir in barley, tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes or until barley has softened.
- Stir in zucchini and potato. Simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add basil. Stir to combine.
I forgot to add basil before I took the picture, oops! This is a great way to use up all the vegies in your fridge. You could also try adding lentils for more texture. Go on, try it!