I quickly threw this together on Friday night after a loooong day of work. I was starving, so luckily for me this was really easy to cook. Most of the ingredients are canned so very little chopping or peeling was required. It was quite delicious and made a filling lazy meal. The only thing I will change for next time is to use half the amount of lemon juice as it was a little too tangy for me.
This will serve 4
You will need -
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 400g can brown lentils, drained, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Plain yoghurt
- Warmed pita bread, to serve
2. Add tomato, stock, chickpeas and lentils. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
3. Stir in lemon rind, lemon juice and coriander. Season with pepper.
4. Ladle into bowls and dollop with yoghurt. Serve with pita bread.