Vego Challenge - Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with Pesto Ricotta


I'm really glad that Nancy left a comment for me and suggested that I make these. I went out and bought Portobello mushrooms, ricotta and pesto like she had written, but I also put in a few things I already had in my fridge just to play around with some new flavours. It was really simple to make and would be a great dish for people who are entertaining guests. You can prepare the ricotta mixture the night before and put the dish together 15 minutes before the guests arrive. The ricotta I bought was really strange and more runny like cottage cheese. I think the dish would've turned out a lot better if I bought a firmer cheese, that way the mushrooms wouldn't have gotten too moist and collapsed during cooking. I also assume it would've taken less cooking time. Nevertheless it was still a really yummy dish and something I would make again.

Serves 4 with a side.
You will need -
- 8 Portobello mushrooms
- 300g Ricotta cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 75g rocket leaves, roughly chopped
- handful of walnuts, roughly chopped
- Basil Pesto
- 50g Parmesan
- Olive oil, to drizzle


1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Take the stalks out of the mushrooms and dice finely.


3. Mix the ricotta cheese with the garlic, mushroom stalks, rocket leaves, parmesan and walnuts. Salt and pepper to taste.


4. Spread a teaspoon of pesto over the insides of each mushroom.
5. Tightly stuff the mushrooms with ricotta mixture and drizzle a little bit of olive oil over the top of them.
6. Bake on a tray lined with baking paper until the ricotta cheese is lightly browned. This should take about 15 - 20 minutes.

The only one that didn't collapse :(
Because my ricotta cheese was really runny, my mushrooms didn't get a chance to brown and so they look a bit strange in the pictures. I had them with a simple crisp salad and my new favourite dressing - balsamic vinegar, olive oil and honey! Its sooo good, you'll have to try it. Keep the suggestions coming, I'd love to hear what you guys like to eat at home.





0 comments:

Total Pageviews