Last night was the first night of my Vegetarian Challenge. I decided on a hearty vegie packed stew to kick things off with a bang. Recently, I stumbled across this excellent vegan blog Oh She Glows. It's jam packed with delicious and unique recipes. I definately recommend looking through Angela's site if you're in need of a bit of inspiration for your meals. The following recipe is Angela's and it is so so so tasty, a little spicy and packed full of vegie goodness.
This recipe makes about 1litre of soup, which can will serve about 4 large meals.
You will need -
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small sweet onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground corriander
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper + 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth (not low sodium), or more as needed
- 1, 28-oz can diced organic tomatoes (no added salt)
- 1/2 cup uncooked raw buckwheat groats, rinsed (or grain of choice)
- 1/2 cup uncooked pearled barley, rinsed (or grain of choice)
- 1/2 cup frozen Edamame (or bean of choice)
- 1.5 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 5-10 shakes red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt + Black pepper, to taste
2. Stir in coriander, cinnamon, and two bay leaves and heat an additional minute or two. Now, add in the chopped vegetables (zucchini, peppers, carrots) and cook for about 5 more minutes. Add a bit more oil if necessary.
3. Stir in the diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, rinsed buckwheat and pearled barley (or grains of choice). Simmer on low-medium heat (dial 3-4) for 20 minutes, checking often to make sure it doesn’t burn or thin out too much. Add a bit more broth or water if necessary and reduce heat when needed.
4. After 20 minutes, add in the lemon juice and additional seasonings- all to taste (minced parsley, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and salt & pepper). Cook for another few minutes, remove bay leaves, and serve with fresh bread.
You can have success using a wide range of vegetables, seasonings, and grains of your choice.
Always adjust the seasonings to taste and add them gradually.
|I can eat these forever!|
Here's a little update on how the challenge is going. For breakfast this morning I had half an avocado on toast with 2 eggs and 2 slices of wholegrain bread and I'm just about to have another bowl of soup for lunch. So far, I'm feeling pretty pleased and I've decided I love pearl barley. Its only been 32 hours...