Vego Challenge - Asian Style Curried Vegetable Broth


Looks may be deceiving, but I am really terrible at cooking Asian food. I sure love to eat it, but don't ever ask me to pick out the bok choy from your pak choy or ask me to make you some won ton soup. I have no idea! I guess the reason is as I was growing up I never really had to step foot into the kitchen. Mum cooks pretty much every meal so I never really learnt the basics. When I was eventually old enough to cook my own meals I would always cook Western food as they were dishes I would only eat on a rare occasion. To be honest, I was a little scared when I saw this recipe, because I've always failed miserably when I try to recreate Asian style food (the first time I tried to cook rice, I had to throw the pot out). To my surprise it was actually really easy and tastes pretty damn good. It's given me the confidence to try cooking Asian food more often.


Serves 4
You will need - 
  • 1/4 cup green curry paste
  • 320g packet silken tofu (extra soft), cut into 2cm cubes
  • 2 carrots, sliced
  • 150ml light coconut milk
  • 2 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 80g dried rice vermicelli noodles
  • 1 bunch gai lum (chinese brocolli), stalks diagonally sliced, leaves shredded
  • 125g can baby corn, halved lengthways
  • coriander leaves, to serve

1. Soak the vermicelli in a bowl of hot water.


2. Heat curry paste in a large wok over medium heat, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until aromatic. Add carrots. Cook, tossing gently, for 1 minute. Add coconut milk, stock and water. Bring to a simmer.
3. Drain the noodles and add them and gai lum stalks to wok. Cook for 5 minutes, or until noodles are almost tender.


4. Add gai lum leaves, tofu and corn to wok. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until leaves wilt. Divide broth between 4 serving bowls. Top with coriander. Serve.

A rather proud moment of mine!
 Again, I didn't add the coriander because I can't stand the taste. If you prefer you can use nigari tofu, which is extra firm, instead of silken tof. Just add these with the carrots in the first step. If you do use silken tofu just be careful when stirring the broth around as its very fragile. You can also use a variety of different vegetables with this dish, be creative! I actually enjoyed this dish more the next day because the coconut cream and the curry paste's flavours were able to really infuse into the tofu and vermicelli. This dish is a bit spicy, so its great to warm up a cold night!




0 comments:

Total Pageviews