How To - Cut Offs

Too warm for long pants, too cold without fur
There's a little bit of controversy with denim cut offs. You either love them or you hate them. For me, I'm a total loving and devoted fan. As we're coming into our scorching summers here in Brisbane, I really can't live without them. They're so easy to wear and you can make your own pair in about 5 minutes. I think the best ones are the ones that look like they've been through hell and back with you. I think they always look better as they rip and fray. I also prefer the ones that are nearly, almost, a little too short. Pockets sticking out are a plus too. To wear them, it's best to get the right proportions to prevent the 'skank' factor. Because they're so tiny it's important to wear something more modest, loose and unrevealing up top. Let your legs be the the star of the show and use accessories to enhance your outfit. When cut offs are done correctly, they exude an air of effortless chic.

High waisted is usually a more polished silhouette
Works with tights when changing seasons
Mix colours and prints for a real statement
Casual top and chunky heels = instant cool


   
Play around with colours for a pop of fun
Experiment with studs to get tough
It is super easy to create your own and it's also a great way to update your wardrobe and get rid old jeans. I think the best hems for cut offs are always a little shorter through the front and longer around the bum. Try on your jeans and mark it out with some chalk or pins. You may need someone to help you with the back. Remember, the hem will fray, roll up a little and get a bit shorter with wash and wear. So as a general rule, always cut it a little longer to start with. I marked mine 1 inch down from my crotch and squared the line out towards the side seams. I then marked around the pockets which also covered my bum. 

Goodbye 2005 Lee Supatubes
Pin and check your hem

I pinned my markings so I could see it properly in the mirror. If they look good, then start chopping away! Check in the mirror again as you may want to make some adjustments. I had to reshape the back a little as they were too long. 


Finally, you can start personalising your new cut offs by distressing them. I started off by pulling the threads off at the hem and fraying it. I'm going to leave it that way and let it age naturally and fray more when I wash them. If you like, you can attack them with a steak knife for more frays or cut holes into them and pull away the threads. For a really grungey look you can put a sharp rock under where you'd like a hole and sand away the fabric. Bleach or dye them into a rainbow of colours or add studs for a bit of tough bling. This is a great beginner's DIY and you'll get instant satisfaction when you tell all your friends, 'Look! I did it myself!"


Frayed, trashy goodness!





0 comments:

Total Pageviews