Chop Chop

One entire week later, I am finally feeling more alive. Damn you, common cold! This morning I actually woke up at a reasonable hour and I didn't feel too shabby. After being M.I.A for the week, I knew I had to get out of the house for some fresh air and oh! It felt goooood. While I was sick all I wanted to do was sew sew sew! I never would've thought that sewing would require much energy, but my body was so incredibly lethargic that I couldn't be bothered with the seemingly large amount of effort. So after a big clean up of my little home, I got right into altering my small collection of vintage clothes. Pham's mum had a garage sale last week and I picked out an outfit and a yellow skirt. The blue outfit is SO awesome. Pham's mum told me it was the first outfit she bought when she arrived in Australia 30 years ago - truly vintage! The outfit together looks totally ridiculous, but I can absolutely rock them separately.

Hahaha, this is what I started with. Pretty cool right?
I decided to start hemming all the skirts first, because it's the easiest and will get the momentum going. I tried out the blind hemming foot on my machine. I can't say I'm 100% pleased with the result as the thread kept breaking and you can see the hem puckering. That's why I ended up doing the pleated skirt by hand, a wonky hem would've wrecked the pretty pleats. Atleast I know how to use the foot now and I'm sure I'll eventually work out how to stop the puckering. 

Before
After

Before
After

Before
After

As you can probably tell, I've made all the skirts a very skimpy length. After looking frumpy and daggy for many years, I slowly figured out that my height only allows me to look proportionate with mini or maxi lengths. I had to slightly drop the hem length at the back of the pleated skirt to minimise the chances of the public seeing my bum cheeks.

I'm pretty motivated to measure, cut and sew everything in my bag of goodies now so stay tuned!

PS - How does one get a tonne of hair out of their clothes? I spent 2 hours de-hairing 2 loads of washing today. My black maxi skirt was a hair magnet at work on Saturday and I ended up with about a handful of hair weaved into my huge load of washing ... *cries* If anyone has ideas on how I can prevent this from happening again, let me know!



1 comments:

Pham | 11 July 2011 at 00:00

It's so cool that you've taken something my mum had so early in her life and made it into something you can wear for years to come.

I like that a lot.

Total Pageviews