Flared Skirt Tutorial - Sewing


This is part 2 of my Flared Skirt Tutorial. If you've missed out on the pattern tutorial, make sure you check it out before reading this. I chose to make my flared maxi in leopard print 100% silk chiffon. I bought this fabric from ebay so I don't know how real the silk is, but I still took all the precautions and pre-washed the fabric so that it wouldn't shrink after the skirt was sewn together. I suggest that you pre-wash your fabric if it has natural fibres in it too. I did notice is that the fabric liked to stick to itself after I wet it which reminds me of my mothers old silk shirts, so I guess I can say that atleast some of the fabric is real silk.

Sewing this skirt is actually very easy, especially if you have an overlocker. If you don't, I suggest that you zigzag the seams.

Step 1 - Start by overlocking or zigzagging the side seams on the skirt, the lining and all around the waistband. Put the right sides of the skirt fabric together and stitch together one side seam. Repeat on the lining and press all seams open.


Step 2 - Lay the lining on top of the fabric. Make sure both seams are facing up and matched together. Stitch together 1 cm from the edge. Overlock or zizag the seam.


Step 3 - Attach the waistband to the skirt with a 1.5 cm seam. Make sure you place the fabric right sides together and match up the centre waistband notch with the skirt side seam.


Step 4 - Using a cool iron, press the zipper coil open. Use an invisible zipper foot to attach the zip to the open skirt seams, stitching from the top. Remember to cut the excess tape off the zip and place at the half way notch of the waistband. Also, make sure the coil is facing the inside and the tape is inline with the seam. When attaching the other side, make sure the zip isn't twisted or else you will want to rip your hair out! This is a great article on attaching zippers.


Step 5 - To sew together the rest of the side seam, fold the zipper together and pin to the right side, leaving the fabric for the seam on the left. Sew the lining first, making sure you move the skirt fabric aside. Using a left zipper foot, sew next to the zip for 1cm then sew down the seam. When sewing the fabric you will need to pin the fabric togther and sew from the bottom up to 1cm past the zip. When you've finished the step try the skirt on. You can make any adjustments using the side seam.


Step 6 - Press all the seams open and the waist seam up.


Step 7 - Fold the waistband in over, right sides together. Using the correct zipper foot, sew the seam/zipper tape and waistband together, down against the outside of the zip. Repeat on the other side.



Step 8 - Turn out the waistband. Having sewn the edges down, the waistband will want to fold itself in half. Follow this and pin down the waistband so it is even - it should be 2cm wide. Have the right side of the skirt facing up and sew right next to the waist seam. Press the waistband.


Step 9 - You can adjust your hem length at the stage. Because it is a circle skirt, the skirt hem will dip down at the front. I like to slightly straighten out the front and leave the back to create a slight tail shape, which will also prevent you from tripping. The shape of it is a visual thing, stand infront of the mirror and pin it to get the desired shape. Lay it out on a flat surface and carefully cut off the excess fabric. I used my overlocker to create a rolled hem which creates a nice wavy edge, but you could finish it in a number of ways. I'd suggest a zigzag stitch on the edge alone, or turn it over and stitch a small hem or for the more advanced sewers you could use your narrow hemming foot.

TA-DA!!!
 Hope you guys enjoyed this tutorial. I tried to be as clear and concise as possible, but if you have any questions or suggestions just leave a comment below. Also, if you would like to see more tutorials just let me know! :)




3 comments:

pham | 28 June 2011 at 23:11

killer tute bud! looks really helpful and detailed write up!

Mary ♥ Mur | 29 June 2011 at 05:04


oh.. so nice post.)
Love your blog.))

I now spend a survey of bloggers with such questions.
1. Why did you create a blog?
2. For whom you taking him? Want to be popular?
3. How long will it keep going?

Wang's Factory | 29 June 2011 at 16:12

Thanks Mary Mur! I created a blog to share with people out there the things I can create with my two hands and also to keep a journal for myself. It makes me feel good that I'm spending my time doing something worthwile. I welcome anyone to read it and I hope to keep it going for as long as I am an artistic person :)

Total Pageviews