Doing It Right

Now that I am all ready to sew in my cosy new home, I've decided that it is going to make my life a lot easier if I made proper block patterns (also known as slopers). For those of you who have no idea what I'm going on about, a block pattern is a pattern which has no style lines and fits the body snugly. It is the foundation for making new and exciting designs while still retaining the size and fit. I figured, I have a fresh new creative space to work with so why not start doing everything the right way. No more uncertainties, no more surprises and no more guessing... well I'm sure there will still be a some surprises.. 

I'm following Margaret Melliar's Pattern Cutting book to create my block patterns. I borrowed this book from my friend Ellie sometime last year. I was meant to photocopy the book and give it back, but I'm lazy and Ellie's lovely and the book is still within my care. This book is absolutely fantastic! For those of you who are interested in learning pattern drafting, you must hunt it down. It covers so many different styles, has clear pictures and the instructions are straightfoward and easy to understand. I have made shorts from following this book. Although the fit was a bit unproportionate for modern styles, it was a great guide. Getting the right fit was just a bit of fine tuning at the end. 



I will also be sewing up these patterns in some calico to make sure the fit is spot on. So you can look forward to me modelling in some very attractive threads, haha. I've already decided on my next project. When I decided on making a giant cowl neck, I knew there was no way I was going to be able to wing it, so I knew it was time to do things correctly. 




I'll be keeping you guys posted!


And a sneak peek to my next project...




P.S I was just watching Beyonce's performance at the Billboard Awards. Aren't Beyonce and Jay-Z just the cutest couple? Nawwww.....



0 comments:

Total Pageviews