Today was another rainy day off. Unfortunately, I have to worst timing for laundry. Everytime I decide to put a load on thats when it decides to start raining. To take my mind off these things my old pal Pham (from omgpham.com) and I decided to make ourselves some lunch and sugary treats. He decided to work on some Crumbed Chicken Tenderloins and I took on the task of making some primary school favourites - Fairy Bread, Chocolate Crackles and Mini Toffees. Ahhhh~ the memories of school fetes, carnivals and cake stalls come rushing back to me!
Okay, lets start with the Chocolate Crackles! These ones are extra amazing because I used melted Mars Bars instead of just melted chocolate. The nougat and caramel makes it a little softer and chewier, but not sickeningly sweet.
This recipe makes about 20 crackles. You will need -
- 200g Mars bars, chopped
- 2 tbs pure cream
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 3 cups Rice Bubbles
- 20 patty cups
2. Melt the ingredients and stir until smooth.
3. Put the Rice Bubbles in a separate bowl, pour the Mars Bar mixture in and mix until well combined.
4. Spoon the crackle mixture into the pattys and serve.
|Yum yum yum!|
Next up, the Mini Toffees. Everytime there was a school fete or sports carnival on I would always buy these and suck on them throughout the day. This is pure sugary goodness.
This recipe makes about 12 toffees. You will need -
- 500g sugar
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 tbs brown/malt vinegar
- 100s and 1000s to decorate
2. Bring to the boil (without stirring) and cook until syrup browns (approx. 17 mins)
3. Remove from heat and cool until bubbles settle.
4. Line a 12 cup muffin tray with patty cases.
5. Pour toffee into the cases and decorate.
The Fairy Bread is easy peasy. Get some soft white bread, slap on some butter and coat it in 100s and 1000s.
|Fairy Bread has to be crustless!|
And there you have it, the ultimate party food plate. Simple easy happy times!